"School trips with an overnight stay can be life changing experiences for young people"
Learning Away 2016
Five years of research by Learning Away has identified that a well-designed and inclusive residential, with opportunities to experience a wide range of new and memorable experiences can;
- Improve students’ engagement with learning
- Support students’ achievement
- Improve students’ resilience, self-confidence and well-being
- Provide opportunities for student leadership, co-design and facilitation
Read the full report here; http://learningaway.org.uk/residentials/
To support the development of these outcomes, for all young people, a campaign for Brilliant Residentials was launched on the 26th September 2016. Brilliant Residentials are school trips with at least one overnight stay, which are:
- Planned so that learning is embedded and reinforced back in school
- Fully integrated with the school curriculum and ethos
- Evaluated rigorously
- Supported by senior leadership and school governors
Cambridgeshire Outdoors, a collaboration of Stibbingon Centre, Burwell House and Grafham Water Centre, are supporting the campaign for ‘Brilliant Residentials’. We want to enable Cambridgeshire young people to experience more high-quality residentials, which can lead to brilliant futures.
The Learning Away website now hosts over 100 good practice case studies, alongside material to help 'make the case' for residential experiences to school leaders, governors, parents and Ofsted. This includes a series of practical resources for teachers and visit leaders, including planning information, activity ideas, downloadable templates, presentations and films.